May 01, 2017 - 02:12 AM
Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your EPDM roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.
1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually.
For normal cleaning:
– Use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RC160C concentrate to clean complete roof or RP-RC320S ready to use cleaner in a spray bottle for smaller areas. (See CAUTION below.)
– Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
– Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with 2 or 3 gallons of water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle.
– For more difficult stains, you may use RP-RC160C in its original concentrated form. For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery.
2. Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap, or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These conditions may result in irremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may have to increase the frequency of your cleaning.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION: – Dicor EPDM roofing membrane is specially formulated for exposure to the sun and natural elements. However, it can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Use caution when placing any articles or walking on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can be easily repaired using Dicor’s #401-PR or #402-PR roof repair kits. Contact your local dealer or Dicor Corporation.
– Cleaning lap sealant used around roof mounted accessories and railings: If soap and water do not clean the seal to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal.
– Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period or time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
– If additional UV protection is desired, apply Dicor’s RP-RG320S Rubber Roof Guard Protectant immediately after cleaning.
CLEANING MOLD AND/OR MILDEW FROM RUBBER ROOFING MATERIALS NEEDED:
- BUCKET OF WATER
- MEDIUM BRISTLE BRUSH
- TILEX BATHROOM CLEANER
There are no ingredients in EPDM rubber roofing that will promote the growth of mold and/or mildew. Atmospheric dirt, shade, sun, humidity and moisture are some of the contributing factors that form mold and/or mildew. Regular cleaning of your rubber roof will help prevent mold and/or mildew from forming on the EPDM roof. Dicor recommends that you wash your roof an average of 3-4 times a year using a non-abrasive cleaner and a medium plastic bristle brush. Mold and/or mildew on your EPDM roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof and grows – similar to bathroom mold that grows in your shower. It does not attack the membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed.
Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed. Allow ample time to complete the job and follow instructions carefully. Although the products mentioned will not harm your roof, if you do not follow the instructions, other areas could be affected.
Tilex is a bathroom cleaner that can be purchased at many grocery stores or discount stores. Tilex contains strong chemicals. Please read the label thoroughly. Tilex should not come in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces. If it drips over the sidewalls or comes in contact with painted or aluminum surfaces, wipe immediately with a damp sponge.
WORK WITH A SMALL AREA in order to maintain control. Spray a small area approximately 2’x2′ with the Tilex. Allow the Tilex to remain on the roof for 3-10 minutes per area. Scrub with a medium bristle brush. After scrubbing, wipe with a damp sponge.
When finished with whatever time frame you intend to spend on the roof (whether you do the entire roof or just a portion) rinse the roof thoroughly with a garden hose. BE SURE TO RINSE WINDOWS AND SIDEWALLS ALSO.
Most often one application is all that is needed to alleviate the problem. Depending on the amount of mold and/or mildew and the length of time growing, more than one application may be necessary.
Follow this procedure with the Dicor Roof Gard (RP-RG320S) protectant.